Active Contest Date: September 25th, 2020 through October 25th, 2020 11:00 P.M. EST.
United Way of Roane County is hosting a virtual Day of Caring contest. Registration is free. Two winners will receive a $100 gift card to Ruby Tuesdays restaurant and a mini grant worth $400 will go to their favorite, tagged non-profit organization. Contestants will be judged on impact, inspiration and originality.
Contestants must register in order to participate. Please read the rules before registering.
Register here: https://form.jotform.com/202674797122056
HOW IT WORKS
Select your favorite non-profit within the guidelines above and choose how you are going to help.
(see the Take Action ideas below). If you choose to collect items for your non-profit, have them post their needs on Amazon Wish. Your friends and neighbors can participate by selecting items from the list to purchase or can gather goods in person (use proper precautions outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). You may also volunteer your services or expertise in helping the non-profit.
However you structure your project is up to you.
- The non-profit organization you choose must be a registered 501c(3) with the State of Tennessee.
- The organization must serve Roane County, Tennessee residents but does not have to be physically in Roane County.
- Anyone can join the contest, there is no restriction on where you live.
- If you are under 18, you will need a parent or guardians’ permission.
- You must register in order for your posts to be counted (registration is free)
- A separate registration is needed for each project, there is no limit to the amount of projects you submit.
- Only those projects which follow the posting guidelines and rules will be considered for awards.
- Take videos and/or action pictures of you doing your project.
- Post videos (you may link a YouTube video in if needed) or action pictures of your efforts on FaceBook (please follow posting rules). Show the impact you are making.
- Upload to Facebook using the hashtag: #rcuwdayofcaring
- Start off your post description with the following sentence. @unitedwayofroanecounty I made a positive impact in my community by volunteering for the United Way of Roane County’s Day of Caring: ( type your original statement, update statement, or ending statement about your project ). Please use the starting sentence for each post you make.
- Please do not forget the hashtag #rcuwdayofcaring or the @unitedwayofroanecounty. This is how the judges will be able to find your posts.
- Tag the non-profit you supported.
- Tell us why this particular non-profit inspires you.
- Your post must be public.
- Have your friends and family share your post, the more likes and comments, the better.
- You may post as many times as you want – show your progress through the project.
- Deadline for last post is October 25th 2020 at 11:00 P.M. EST
- Only posts that follow these guidelines will be accepted for judging.
TAKE ACTION IDEAS
These are some ideas to get you started. You do not have to do any of the ideas below, but you are more than welcome to use them. Contact your favorite non-profit and work with them on their needs,
then decide how you can make an impact in your community by helping that non-profit.
- Senior emergency essentials- Many seniors were without toilet paper, Lysol, personal products and basic essentials during the first round of COVID, by the time their checks came the stores would be out or they were too afraid to leave their home. If a second wave does come, we don’t want our seniors to suffer.
- Host a food drive – gather non-perishable food items and donate them to Hands of Mercy Food Pantry
- Health and Hygiene drive – collect health and hygiene items such as toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, hair brushes, and warm socks.
- Clothing Collection – collect slightly used winter clothing, scarves, hats, coats, warm shirts, all sizes.
- Homemade cards – Create cards that show seniors that they are not alone. Donate them to local seniors in your neighborhood, nursing home or senior service organizations.
- Thank our local Heroes – Create sign or window art at your home for our local, Police, Firefighters, Paramedics, and health care workers, thanking them and inspiring positive motivation to show appreciation.
- Crafts for Charity- make masks, no-sew blankets, no-sew t-shirt bags, bookmarks, or any other homemade items you can create. There are many ideas online to choose from and tutorials on how to make items.
- Sanitization Supplies – cleaning supplies, hand sanitizers, masks for agencies that have to be in person, like food banks.
- Bag Drive – host a bag drive for foster children so they have something to carry their clothing and necessities in.
- School Supply Drive- In previous years, Roane County United Way has had a school supply drive for the teachers and students of Roane County Schools to use mid-year when supplies run low. You could run a supply drive while school supplies are on sale as they are now and get donations for the schools.
- Contact your favorite non-profit and ask them what community projects or volunteer needs they currently have. Let them know they have a chance to win a grant. There is no limit to the amount of projects you get involved with.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Project, Have Fun with it!